The sunny province of Guanacaste Costa Rica is home to this eco-lodge, which is just 15 minutes from the Las Pailas entrance to Rincón de la Vieja National Park (a UNESCO World Heritage site). The closest city is Liberia, which is just 35 minutes away, with the small town of Curubande only 5 minutes away. Hacienda Guachipelin offers 79 ranch-style rooms, with views of their beautiful hacienda gardens and Rincón de la Vieja Volcano in the background.
Costa Rica has been described as the happiest country on earth, and with Hacienda Guachipelin nestled in a unique dry tropical forest with active volcanoes, this is sure to live up to those expectations. There are 3 rivers that flow through the land, creating waterfalls, natural springs, and other unique environmental factors.
Since as early as the 1880s, this land had been a thriving ranchland range, but it was in 1975 when two generations of the Batalla family decided to dedicate themselves to this ranch to keep that legacy alive. It was always known to locals that this area held special healing powers, with its volcanic mud, activities, waterfalls, forests, and wildlife, and in 1982 “The Lonely Planet” mentioned that people should be visiting here, and they did.
In the remote area of Costa Rica back then, roads were minimal, so travel was time-consuming. The family found guests knocking on their door, kindly asking to stay the night before exploring the park the following morning. The Batalla family jumped at the opportunity to open a few guest rooms, which soon multiplied into the beautiful Hacienda Guachipelin hotel they have today. The park today sees over 70,000 people annually who wish to escape to this tropical dry forest. Read more about them here.
Lowest impact construction and operation
- This family-owned and operated Ranch has been operating for years with the goal of being as sustainable as possible.
- The land covers 3,400 acres, and areas are dedicated to conservation where Hacienda Guachipelin works to reforest with native trees. It is a core value for them to strive to have minimal impact on the environment and wildlife surrounding Hacienda Guachipelin. They have been mindful of keeping natural wildlife corridors surrounding the hotel to ensure minimal interference with wildlife migration.
High level of energy efficiency
- Hot water to guest rooms is provided thanks to solar panel heaters located on the roofs.
- Since Costa Rica is one of the leading countries in renewable energy, on-grid electricity also comes from more than 90% renewable energy sources.
- Drinking water and water in the pool are naturally sourced from a spring on the property.
- This eco-lodge is proud to say they hold the third level of the “Certification for Sustainable Tourism” (CST) program by the Costa Rica Tourism Board. However, they have not stopped there, as they are constantly looking at ways to become even better.
- Guests are reminded of the ways they can reduce their consumption during their stay.
Pioneer in waste management
- The kitchen coolers are equipped with a technology that allows them to collect and recycle condensation and hot air-by products.
- With so many farm animals on the ranch, it’s only natural that the staff take any organic food waste and feed it to the livestock, such as pigs. It may also be used as a natural fertilizer.
- Gray water is treated and used for watering gardens and other landscaping duties.
- This eco-lodge has recycle bins throughout the property, and you are encouraged to use them.
Fully organic and chemical-free operation
- A farm-to-table approach is taken towards everything food related at Hacienda Guachipelin, with the vast majority of the food being grown right here at their ranch, and anything else they require is purchased locally at sustainable vendors. Fruit trees and vegetables are plentiful in the gardens.
- With over 350 free-range chickens, fresh eggs can be enjoyed daily. They also raise their own turkey, pigs, and cattle on the ranch, so food and milk are fresh; to accompany the delicious coffee they serve, which is grown by a local family farm in Naranjo, Costa Rica.
Actively protects nature and community
- Hires only local staff, providing the local communities surrounding the lodge with over 130 job opportunities. In addition to offering these positions, they also work with the community on local social support programs for those in need.
Most Popular Activities near Hacienda Guachipelin
- Horseback riding
- Waterfall rappelling and canyoning tour
- River tubing
- Mountain biking
- Cowboy for a day tour
- Bird-watching tours to see many of the 20 Costa Rican birds.
- Yoga at sunrise or sunset
READ ON – 36 Eco-friendly Things to Do in Costa Rica (From A to Z)
Best time to visit Hacienda Guachipelin
- The humidity in Costa Rica is high all year around.
- To avoid the rainy season, plan your visit outside May-June and September-October.
- If you want to enjoy this place the sunniest it can be, visit in March or December.
- Smaller showers or thunderstorms can be expected all year around, so please be prepared.
READ ON – Best Time To Visit Costa Rica (Factual Data, Pros & Cons, What to Expect)