This luxurious eco-lodge is situated on 26 hectares of private land in Tortuguero, Limon on Costa Rica’s North East Caribbean coast. With 29 lodging options dotted along the banks of a slow-moving tropical winding river that make up the heart and soul of the property. Guests can expect to leave feeling more educated about how these canals breathe life into the lodge and its local communities. Your stay will be beautiful, with all guest rooms having beautiful views of these stunning Ocean Rivers and the native flora and fauna surrounding the area.
Tropical jungles make up the perimeter of this luxury eco-lodge in Costa Rica so guests are free to take in views of natural beauty from the Caribbean-inspired restaurant, pool area, social areas, and gardens. With 1.4 miles of winding trails in the back, this is the perfect option for guests looking to become one with the rainforest. Feel free to explore on your own or join one of the twilight tours (for an extra fee) for your best chance at spotting some nocturnal wildlife, including one of many species of frogs, bats, snakes & other reptiles, or perhaps the Common Opossum or Mouse Opossum.
The team who works at Tortuga considers their roles to be more than just a job. Each one of them is passionate about the lodge and providing the best experience for all guests who stay. Employees consider themselves to be a family and truly understand the need for their friendly and professional services to be available to you while allowing you to enjoy an escape in nature without feeling crowded.
It is critical for the team to meet guests’ satisfaction, so the hotel will only staff local members of the community with the highest level of job pride. When you stay at Tortuga, you will be treated like a member of the family, with warm smiling faces greeting you when you arrive that consider your needs with everything they do. Read more about them here.
Lowest impact construction and operation
- This charming boutique hotel features hand-carved wood furnishings to showcase the culture of the area.
- The Green Turtle Restaurant was built with the intention of immersing you in nature. The air is free to flow through, with no windows, doors, or walls getting in the way. This design specifically was chosen to provide a barrier-free environment for everyone to enjoy, including wildlife such as birds and butterflies; for minimal impact on their environment.
Highest level of energy efficiency
- Solar energy from the sun is harnessed at this eco-lodge to heat water for all the guest rooms and for the restaurant.
- To avoid having to use bottled water, a high-tech ultraviolet light water purification system is used to provide 100% clean drinking water.
Pioneer in waste management
- Tortuga Lodge is proud to say they have NO single-use plastics on their property, but rather they have complimentary stainless steel water bottles that are offered to all guests to refill. They also offer 100% biodegradable straws made from the abundance of avocado seeds found in some regions.
- Wastewater is treated by a state-of-the-art Bio-Auga system where 80 different microorganisms break down waste to eliminate smell and recontaminate water running into the septic and gray water systems. This water is then treated by their gray water environmental septic system with two biodigesters that clean water and create propane gas. This gas is then re-used as energy to run some of the kitchen equipment.
Using organic and chemical-free products
- Tortuga believes in supporting the local community whenever possible to reduce carbon footprints and impacts from transportation. Currently, 45% of products used at the hotel are purchased locally, and they are always looking for ways to increase that number.
- The swimming pool has a unique cleaning system since it uses regular salt water rather than a typical chlorine chemical treatment.
- Biodegradable and eco-friendly soaps, detergents, and cleaning products are used in guest rooms and by housekeeping throughout the property.
Actively protects nature and community
- Tortuga Lodge does many things for their community. They believe that through their support to the community and collaboration on projects, they can help preserve the area for generations to come.
Most Popular Activities near Tortuga Lodge
- Watch sea turtles hatch from their nests and make their way to the Ocean
- Sea turtle nesting tours
- Boat tours with a nature guide
- Kayaking in Tortuguero National Park
- Twilight tours
- Exploring the history of local Villages
- Bird-watching walks to see many of the 20 Costa Rican birds.
READ ON – 36 Eco-friendly Things to Do in Costa Rica (From A to Z)
Best time to visit Tortuga Lodge
- To avoid the rainy season, plan your visit outside May-June and September-October.
- If you want to enjoy this place the sunniest it can be, visit in March or December.
- The humidity in Costa Rica is high all year around.
- Smaller showers or thunderstorms can be expected all year around, so please be prepared.
READ ON – Best Time To Visit Costa Rica (Factual Data, Pros & Cons, What to Expect)